Last week my brain bricked. I am using that word, bricked, because it feels a lot like it does when your old shoddy phone goes unresponsive. I’m pressing the figurative buttons of my brain, but nothing much is happening — and if it is doing something, it’s processing information frustratingly slowly.
This is why I’ve decided to take some time off. It would feel weird to call it a sabbatical, but I will be spending the Christmas holidays eating, playing video games, reading, watching movies, and hanging out with my wife. Maybe I’ll see my friends. Maybe I’ll even leave the house. Okay, I’ll definitely leave the house because I want to go running. But I might even go wild and leave the house to go to the cinema.
But, in defiance of my original plans to DO ALL THE THINGS (of course), I won’t be working on anything that could be designated as a “project”.
So…here is my not-to-do list for the upcoming holidays:
- No blog posts drafts for Taboola Rasa or Polymath Problems.
- No buffering sessions.
- No trying to figure out Squarespace. I’ll just have to beg them to prolong my trial again.
- No working on our startup idea with Finn.
- No stressing out about holiday meals.
- No fretting about “will or won’t I have enough clients next year”.
- No working on my next freebie.
- No setting up my new online business.
- No adding the FAQ / How I work section to my portfolio site.
Let’s see how well I’ll adhere to this list. It might be that, once January arrives, I’ll feel refreshed enough to tackle some things again. But even if it takes me until the new work year officially resumes to get back to strength — it’ll be okay. So what if I’ll probably panic my way through it all! ;)
Side note: I’ve decided that writing fiction is allowed, because that is something that I, sadly, never get around to doing anyway.
Now, would you please excuse me, I have to go back to finishing my last client project for the year. But I’d be happy to hear from you. I want to know what others have planned for the holidays. Are you working through Christmas? Or is it all play, no work? Or a mixture of both?